Sunday, July 11, 2010

Video Multimedia Technology

Just as I have done at the beginning of just about every lesson so far, I didn’t think video multimedia was going to work for me and my classroom. I thought it would be way too complicating for my students to create and I have PowerPoints that I use to help me with my instruction so I didn’t see the need for video multimedia.
Once again, I started playing and experimenting with the new program. I have a Mac so I was using iMovie and iPhoto. I was shocked at how easy it was. I created an iMovie to use with the Mayan lesson that I teach. I have tons of pictures from a mission trip that I went on to Guatemala that involve the Mayan culture. I usually show these pictures from a photo album or from a PowerPoint but with iMovie I was able to create a video about the Mayans using my pictures. I think it would be cool to use iMovie as an end of the unit performance assessment. Students could use the knowledge gained over a unit to create their own iMovie. They could use pictures, videos, and writing in their movie. Then as a class or in small groups, students could present their iMovie. As Lever-Duffy & McDonald say on page 347, "the key to using motion video in instruction is to fully engage the learner in sensory experience that motion video offers." When students develop their own videos it will engage each student.
My school already has access to photostory so my students could do a similar project with that program. The school already has microphones and flip cameras that can be used for the projects. In order to use iMovie, like I did with my movie, students would need to use a Mac computer. MacBook laptops cost about $1000 a piece. These laptops include built in cameras, microphones, and iMovie would already be installed.

2 comments:

  1. What a way to get kids interested! TV and Movies are surrounding these kids. I am sure that creating their own movie would really engage them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to how your surprise in all these programs applicability to your classroom. Like you, I always struggle at the beginning of each unit to find a good use for these types of programs in my classroom. Also, I always am surprised to find how great it fits into my curriculum. I think your students will have lots of success using the Photo Story program. It is very user friendly and it is a fun way to sum up everything they have learned.

    ReplyDelete