Sunday, July 4, 2010

Audio MultiMedia in the Classroom

As I realized that this week’s lessons were on audio multimedia, I immediately thought that this wouldn’t realistically be something I could use in my classroom. However, the more I research the more and more ideas I started coming up with. I am not an auditory learner so for me these things don’t seem like great ways to teach but then I came to the realization that not all of my students are going to learn in the same ways I do. I have learned that many times throughout my teaching career but sometimes it’s easy to get into a rut of teaching the way I would learn best instead how my students might learn.
This week I decided to create a lesson based on a radio broadcast that the students will design through a podcast. In this lesson, they kids have to explain how Alexander the Great created the Greek empire. They must research and discuss whether he was a good or bad leader and explain the events of some of the major battles he fought. So for this lesson, children will pick a topic about Alexander the Great to report on for their radio broadcast. They must put this radio broadcast onto a podcast and then the class will listen to each other’s podcasts on Alexander and his major battles.
Currently, my school has all of the materials needed to do this project so it will be free. We have enough laptops for every child and there are microphones available for check out through the library. The kids can use windows media player to create these podcasts.

3 comments:

  1. It shows your strength as an educator that you realize that not all of your students learn the way you do. Kudos for reaching out-of-your-box and finding some neat ways to incorporate audio multimedia into your class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of having your students learn about a topic, then explain it in their podcast. It is kind of like having them teach the rest of the class, but isn't quite so intimidating for those students who get stage fright. It also requires the students to do some higher level thinking. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the idea of using the podcast as a radio newscast is great. This only drawback to this is whether or not your students have ever listened to a radio news broadcast. You may need to play some talk news radio for them.

    I also concur with Melodie, podcasts are an awesome way to help students who have stage fright create successful presentations.

    ReplyDelete