Saturday, June 19, 2010

Decision-Making Process for GPS Lesson

I really struggled with this lesson early in the week when I first learned that I would have to develop a lesson using a handheld technology. First of all, I don’t have much access to handheld technologies in my classroom. Secondly, I couldn’t figure out how to make a handheld technology applicable to a lesson on ancient civilizations. However, as the week went on and the more I researched, the more I started seeing how handheld technologies do fit in my classroom.
I started researching lesson plans that other teachers have used and I began to see how the GPS could be a great tool for social studies lessons. Many of the lessons were about geography and mapping which makes sense. I teach about the geography of the different ancient civilizations but I was still struggling with this idea. Then I started thinking that we do a lot of stations where the kids have to analyze artifacts or pictures of things that represent that civilization. I normally have these artifacts already sat out on a table. But then the more I researched, I thought it would be great to hide these artifacts and have the students use the GPS to find them. This helps them with geography, science, and finding the artifact, which makes the lesson even more exciting for the kids. After I wrote the lesson plan, I decided I want to ask for GPS’s for my classroom. I can really see how this could benefit my curriculum now.
I started researching prices so I can present this plan to my teaching partner and principal. The TomTom, Garmin, and Magellan all ran about the same price. All brands run anywhere from $80 to over $1000.

3 comments:

  1. I love the GPS units. I am still currently trying to figure out a way to realistically use them in my kindergarten classroom. I think hiding the artifacts is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to do a GPS Treasure hunt some day. I think that having the students search for ancient tombs or temples around the school would be a really fun project. Make them feel like real archeologists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to use a GPS in the classroom! I had never even thought about using a GPS as an instructional tool, but this unit really helped me understand some ways they can be used. I enjoyed hearing your idea! I do a unit on mapping and directions and a GPS would be a valuable tool for that unit as well!

    ReplyDelete